Danilo Donnarumma is a Research Fellow in Analytical Chemistry (SSD CHIM/01) at the Department of Chemical, Biological, Pharmaceutical and Environmental Sciences, University of Messina, Italy. On October 2007, he received a Master Degree in Biomolecular and Industrial Biotechnologies with an evaluation of 110/110 summa cum laude from the University of Naples “Federico II”. In April 2012, he obtained a PhD in “Cellular, Molecular and Industrial Biology, Project n.2: Functional and Molecular Biology” at the University of Bologna, Italy, with a doctoral thesis entitled “Insights in the maturation of pathogenic bacteria vaccine candidates using Mass Spectrometry based approaches” under the supervision of Prof. Vincenzo Scarlato. During the PhD, and for the three following years, he carried out his research project, concerning the epitope mapping analysis using the Hydrogen/Deuterium Exchange Technology coupled with Mass Spectrometry (HDX-MS), in the Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics research center in Siena, Italy. After the acquisition of the Siena site by GSK Vaccines in 2015, Dr. Donnarumma was hired as a Scientist, focusing on structural mass spectrometry techniques, such as native MS and HDx-MS, to characterize novel vaccine candidates. From February 2019 until December 2021, he worked for Chromaleont s.r.l. as LC, MS specialist first and as Technical Director LC, MS Area later. From January 2022, he works as a Research Fellow at Department of Chemical, Biological, Pharmaceutical and Environmental Sciences, University of Messina.
In the first part of his career, the research interests of Dr. Donnarumma have been mostly oriented towards mass spectrometry applied to the structural proteomics field, focusing on the structural characterization of novel vaccine candidates designed for both viral and bacterial pathogens. In the last years, he moved his interest towards the lipidomics field, by studying lipid molecules in both biological and food samples by using liquid chromatographic techniques coupled with mass spectrometry. In this context, he has contributed to the development of robotic preparative station for the automatized extraction of intact lipids, both polar and non-polar, in Dried Blood Spot (DBS) samples.
Dr. Danilo Donnarumma is author and co-author of 2 book chapters and 23 articles on international peer reviewed journals, based on the application of advanced mass spectrometric techniques applied for proteins and lipids analysis. He presented his research activities in more than 10 congresses, including international, with oral and poster presentations. He is an active referee of several international peer review journals, such as Journal of Chromatography A, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Industrial Crops and Products, Scientific Reports and Journal of Food compositions and Analysis.
- Donnarumma D, Giusti F, Ysebaert C, Hermand P, Devos N, Ferlenghi I, Margarit I, Rossi Paccani S, Scarselli M, Norais N. FHUSPA2/10 is a bactericidal monoclonal antibody targeting multiple repeated sequences of Moraxella catarrhalis UspA2. Vaccine, 2022 Oct; 40(45): 6520-6527. IF2020: 3.641
- Stincone P, Fonseca Veras, F, Micalizzi G, Donnarumma D, Vitale Celano, G, Petras D, de Angelis M, Mondello L, Brandelli A. Listeria monocytogenes exposed to antimicrobial peptides displays differential regulation of lipids and proteins associated to stress response. Cell Mol Life Sci, 2022 May; 79(5): 263. IF2020: 9.261
- Cucinotta L, De Grazia G, Salerno TMG, Donnarumma D, Donato P, Sciarrone D, Mondello L.Overcoming the lack of reliability associated to monodimensional gas chromatography coupled to isotopic ratio mass spectrometry data by heart-cut two-dimensional gas chromatography. J Chromatogr A, 2021 Oct; 1655: 462473. IF2020: 4.759
- Donnarumma D, La Tella R, Vento F, Salerno TMG, Rigano F, Mondello L. Evaluation of the level of toxic contaminants and essential molecules in the context of the re-use of tuna fishery industry by-products. Food Anal Methods, 2021 Oct; 14(10): 2161-2174. IF2020: 3.366
- Cacciola F, Arena K, Mandolfino F, Donnarumma D, Dugo P, Mondello L. Reversed phase versushydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography as first dimension of comprehensive two-dimensional liquid chromatography systems for the elucidation of the polyphenolic content of food and natural products. J Chromatogr A, 2021 Mar; 1645: 462129. IF2020: 4.759
- Rigano F, Arena P, Mangraviti D, Donnarumma D, Dugo P, Mondello L, Micalizzi G. Identification of high-value generating molecules from the wastes of tuna fishery industry by liquid chromatography and gas chromatography hyphenated techniques with automated sample preparation. J Sep Sci, 2021 Apr; 44(8): 1571-1580. IF2020: 3.645
- Micalizzi G, Vento F, Alibrando F, Donnarumma D, Dugo P, Mondello L. Cannabis Sativa L.: a comprehensive review on the analytical methodologies for cannabinoids and terpenes characterization. Chromatogr. A, 2021 Jan 25; 1637: 461864. IF2020: 4.759
- Peschiera I, Giuliani M, Giusti F, Melero R, Paccagnini E, Donnarumma D, Pansegrau W, Carazo JM, Sorzano COS, Scarselli M, Masignani V, Liljeroos LJ, Ferlenghi I. Structural basis for cooperativity of human monoclonal antibodies to meningococcal factor H-binding protein. Commun Biol, 2019 Jun 26; 2: 241. IF2020: 6.268
- Giussani S, Pietrocola G, Donnarumma D, Norais N, Speziale P, Fabbrini M, Margarit I. The Streptococcus agalactiae complement interfering protein combines multiple complement-inhibitory mechanisms by interacting with both C4 and C3 ligands. FASEB J, 2019 Mar; 33(3): 4448-4457. IF2020: 5.191
- Donnarumma D, Maestri C, Giammarinaro PI, Capriotti L, Bartolini E, Veggi D, Petracca R, Scarselli M, Norais N. Native state organization of Outer Membrane Porins unraveled by HDx-MS. J Proteome Res, 2018 May 4; 17(5): 1794-1800. IF2020: 4.466
- Giuliani M, Bartolini E, Galli B, Santini L, Lo Surdo P, Buricchi F, Bruttini M, Benucci B, Pacchiani N, Alleri L, Donnarumma D, Pansegrau W, Peschiera I, Ferlenghi I, Cozzi R, Norais N, Giuliani MM, Maione D, Pizza M, Rappuoli R, Finco O, Masignani V. Human protective response induced by meningococcus B vaccine is mediated by the synergy of multiple bactericidal epitopes. Sci Rep, 2018 Feb 27; 8(1): 3700. IF2020: 4.379
- Chandramouli S, Malito E, Nguyen TV, Luisi K, Donnarumma D, Xing Y, Norais N, Yu D, Carfi A. Structural basis for potent antibody-mediated neutralization of human cytomegalovirus. Sci Immunol, 2017 Jun 30; 2(12): 1457. IF2020: 17.727
- Domina M, Lanza Cariccio V, Benfatto S, Venza M, Venza I, Donnarumma D, Bartolini E, Borgogni E, Bruttini M, Santini L, Midiri A, Galbo R, Romeo L, Patanè F, Biondo C, Norais N, Masignani V, Teti G, Felici F, Beninati C. Epitope mapping of a Monoclonal Antibody directed against Neisserial Heparin Binding Antigen using next generation sequencing of antigen-specific libraries. PLoS One, 2016 Aug 10; 11(8). IF2020: 3.240
- Donnarumma D, Faleri A, Costantino P, Rappuoli R, Norais N. The role of structural proteomics in vaccine development: recent advances and future prospects. Expert Rev Proteomics, 2016 Jan; 13(1):55-68. IF2020: 3.940
- Ciferri C, Chandramouli S, Leitner A, Donnarumma D, Cianfrocco MA, Gerrein R, Friedrich K, Aggarwal Y, Palladino G, Aebersold R, Norais N, Settembre EC, Carfi A. Antigenic characterization of the HCMV gH/gL/gO and Pentamer cell entry complexes reveals binding sites for potently neutralizing human antibodies. PLoS Pathog. 2015 Oct 20; 11(10). IF2020: 6.823
- Amerighi F, Valeri M,Donnarumma D, Maccari S, Moschioni M, Taddei A, Lapazio L, Pansegrau W, Buccato S, De Angelis G, Ruggiero P, Masignani V, Soriani M, Pezzicoli A. Identification of a Monoclonal Antibody against Pneumococcal Pilus 1 Ancillary Protein impairing bacterial adhesion to human epithelial cells. J Infect Dis. 2016 Feb 15; 213(4):516-22. IF2020: 5.226
- Donnarumma D, Golfieri G, Brier S, Castagnini M, Veggi M, Bottomley MJ, Delany I, Norais N. The Neisseria meningitidis GNA1030 is an ubiquinone-8 binding protein. FASEB Journal, 2015 Jun; 29(6):2260-7. IF2020: 4.191
- Ciferri C, Chandramouli S, Donnarumma D, Nikitin PA, Cianfrocco MA, Gerrein R, Feire A, Barnett SW, Lilja AE, Rappuoli R, Norais N, Settembre EC, Carfi A. Structural and biochemical studies of HCMV gH/gL/gO and Pentamer reveal mutually exclusive cell entry complexes. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 2015 Feb 10; 112(6):1767-72. IF2020: 11.205
- Pecetta S, Lo Surdo P, Tontini M, Proietti D, Zambonelli C, Bottomley MJ, Biagini M, Berti F, Costantino P, Romano MR. Study Group: Buricchi F, Donnarumma D, Norais N. Carrier priming with CRM197 or Diphtheria Toxoid has a different impact on the immunogenicity of the respective glycoconjugates: biophysical and immunochemical interpretation. Vaccine, 2015 Jan 3;33(2):314-20. IF2020: 3.641
- Barazzone GC, Pinto V, Donnarumma D, Tanizaki MM, Norais N, Berti F. Identification of glycosylated regions in pneumococcal PspA conjugated to serotype 6B capsular polysaccharide. Glycoconj J., 2014 Mar 22;31(3):259-69. IF2020: 2.916
- Tani C, Stella M, Donnarumma D, Biagini M, Parente P, Vadi A, Magagnoli C, Costantino P, Rigat F, Norais N. Quantification by LC-MS(E) of Outer Membrane Vesicle proteins of the Bexsero® Vaccine, 2014 Mar 5;32(11):1273-9. IF2020: 3.641
- Brier S, Fagnocchi L, Donnarumma D, Scarselli M, Rappuoli R, Nissum M, Delany I, Norais N. Structural Insight into the Mechanism of DNA-Binding Attenuation of the Neisserial Adhesin Repressor NadR by the Small Natural Ligand 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic Acid. Biochemistry, 2012 Aug 28;51(34):6738-52. IF2020: 3.162
- Nuccitelli A, Cozzi R, Gourlay LJ, Donnarumma D, Necchi F, Norais N, Telford JL, Rappuoli R, Bolognesi M, Maione D, Grandi G, Rinaudo CD. Structure-based approach to rationally design a chimeric protein for an effective vaccine against Group B Streptococcus infections. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 2011 Jun 21;108(25):10278-83. IF2020: 11.205
Capitoli di Libro/Book Chapters
- Donnarumma D, Micalizzi G, Mondello L and Dugo P. Lipidomics in Food Industry and Nutrition. Chapter 21 for “Mass Spectrometry for Lipidomics; Methods and Applications” book, 1st Edition, Wiley-VCH GmbH, 2023 (in press).
- Donnarumma D, Bottomley MJ, Malito E, Settembre E, Ferlenghi I and Cozzi R. Structural Biology in Vaccine Research. Chapter 5 for “Vaccine Design” book, 2nd Edition, Caister Academic Press, 2015.